I know, I know, I’m already thinking about crafting for the holidays, and it’s only September. Some (my husband, for example) refer to this as “holiday creep.” I refer to it as planning.
I have combed and vetted multiple tutorials around the web, and have found these top 10 DIY Holiday Ornament Tutorials. All of them are ones that you can do with your children and family.
1. Mixed-Media Photo Ornaments – View from the Fridge.
Cleverly using mini canvases, mode lodge, scrapbooking elements, and sewing trim, you can make an annual ornament to commemorate each year of your loved ones’ lives.
2. Book Marks that can also be used as ornaments – Creative Family Moments
How adorable are these? The blogger posting this idea created these as part of a class project. I’ve got to float this to my child’s classroom teacher. What parent (or grandparent) wouldn’t love these whimsical bookmarks/ornaments?
3. Monogrammed Ornaments – Bust out your Silhouette and make these beautiful and easy monogrammed ornaments!
Remember when we made polymer clay food for our dolls and stuffed friends? This is even easier; and doesn’t it look beautiful. Kids will love rolling and shaping the clay into something for the tree or for a present-topper.
Wouldn’t it be great for your child to write something about the year in his or her own handwriting? You could use one side to draw something, too!
6. Fabric Scrap Ornaments – For those of you who love fabric, and you know who you are!
I could see how this could create a very Zen afternoon. Keep hand wipes close by, though, for all the glue!
7. Personalized Scrabble Ornaments – the possibilities are endless!
Years ago, someone gave me wine glass charms made with scrabble tiles. You don’t even have to break up your scrabble game (unless you want to); you can buy wooden tiles from Amazon. Or, you can go directly to Hasbro and purchase the replacement plastic tiles.
8. Paper layered pinecones – Use with your leftover styrofoam Easter eggs.
10. Simple photo ornaments using a sewing machine.
Do you have any favorite DIY ornaments? Please share them!